I get phone calls from people that tell me they changed a fuse, it burned out again and then as they burn out the third one the deck goes further and further into disrepair. First fuses are not a method of repair- they are a safety device to keep from overloaded circuit to catch fire or to lessen damage.
The guy who blows out three fuses or more is just sending his equipment further and further into higher cost as he is then doing more damage as each fuse burns out. Don’t you see the futility in all this fuse replacing? If a fuse blows out that is an indication that there is a fault and a meter needs to come out and troubleshooting done to correct the problem. Additional fuses is just the sign of a person not knowing what they are doing and I could say more but would offend some people.
A question I get from many DIY repair people. I don’t hide my findings and advise people to the best products I have found. One of them is this AMS oil product that is outstanding. If you use WD40 or a low grade oil then don’t blame me for bad performance as I have told you what is best. It gives specs better than the new deck specs. .02%wrms JIS was measured on a A2000R the first time I used it and that is a model previous to the A2300S. I now use AMS oil exclusively on my shop benches as it is the best!
For those that are not informed and have no way to measure wow and flutter as well as phase shift with a scope, I am posting this so that you DO NOT waste your money on this garbage.
I finally tested a set here and had to wonder what was the problem with the freshly oiled and belted deck and it was the Pinch Rollers. These Pinch roller push ons are a bad attempt to make a product but if they did any testing they would find that they exhibit cyclic wow and flutter rising to .14% and that they are not very precise in that the azimuth sine wave shifts consistently at least 90 degrees each way. This is ridiculous that these are still being sold. I looked on Amazon and there are two 5 star rating reviews.
In putting on another pair of old rollers I had here the wow and flutter went down to .040% wrms and stayed there.
This is another rip off product to be sold to those that do not know better- my results have been confirmed by two other Technicians.
Also be aware that this same idea is being sold for Tascam cassette decks and the more expensive Open reels. No matter what the product is, the push on rubber is crap and you will NOT get good service from it. The only way to fix a Pinch Roller is to send it to Terry Witt in Sparta Michigan. This is what the professionals do. Don’t let these numbskull’s take advantage of you!
One of the most aggravating things is to fast wind a X7R and have to wait the 2.5 to 3 minutes to have it finish a 1800 foot roll of tape. Ha! Teac knew there was a problem and released technical bulletins to make some corrections. Well I use a different approach in application of the 30Vdc supply to the motors only in fast wind mode. Does this work you might say? Well both fast winds with my modification finished the same roll of tape at 58 seconds. I have taken a signal out of the logic that signals the reel motor drive that it is doing fast wind mode. This then goes through some resistors and transistors to invert the signal to drive a TIP107 transistor that then sends the higher voltage to the motors. There is a diode that maintains the 14Vdc supply at play mode on those motors and that prevents the feed of the 30 Vdc supply back to the 14Vdc supply. I have tested this deck and it is going through more tests but if you want to get your deck corrected for this problem, contact me.
Well the first of my mods is out there and only time will tell if the client likes it. I have a feeling that anyone who has sat through the slow wind speeds will fine this less than a minute speed much better. I have obtained some further parts to build these kits. I just have to do the schematic and instructions. I think the idea will be well received once people find out how well these decks can work.
This product is used to dampen the movement of left tension arms in Teac and other tape decks. Its Viscosity is 300,000 cSt. The 8mL sized bottle should be enough to do 3-5 tension arms per bottle. As you probably already know this product is not easy to find. The product name is Dimethyl Polysiloxane. I offer this as a service to my fellow Service Technicians who can not afford to buy a Gallon of it for over $400.
I have used it successfully on a number of decks already. It does work.
Cost is $8.00 plus $7.20 shipping.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to order one or a couple bottles.
They are in limited numbers.
They are clear after the bubbles rise. Probably can service 10-20 machines from one bottle.